I am so excited to share with you this amazing muffin recipe.
My Mom is such an inventive cook and baker… she creatively decided to combine our two favourite muffin recipes- my Grandma’s Bran “Pail of Muffins” recipe and my Mom’s delicious banana muffin recipe- together forever in holy muffin matrimony! This muffin marriage is MARVELLOUS to say the least.
This recipe makes 4 dozen medium-sized muffins- freeze them for weeks of muffin deliciousness. Pair this muffin with yogurt or cottage cheese and fruit for a light lunch or snack.
Preheat oven to 375 and line or grease 2 medium muffin tins.
• 2 cups 100% Bran
• 2 cups boiling water
• 2 cups whole wheat flour
• 2 cups all purpose flour
• 2 cups bran flakes
• 2 tablespoons baking soda
• 2 tsp. salt
• 1/2 cup butter (room temperature)
• 3 eggs (room temperature)
• 2/3 cup brown sugar
• 2/3 cup white sugar
• 2 tsp vanilla
• 2 cups buttermilk
• 6 ripe bananas mashed
• 2 cups dried fruit such as raisins, cranberries, cherries, or mangoes.
1. Bowl 1-Pour the boiling water over the bran and set aside to cool.
2. Bowl 2 – Sift the flours, baking soda and salt together and then add the bran flakes – mix lightly.
3. Bowl 3 – mash the bananas -set aside.
4. Bowl 4 – (your mixer) Cream butter, eggs, sugars and vanilla until light and fluffy – about 3 minutes on medium speed. Add the 100% bran mixture, bananas and the buttermilk. Mix lightly.
5. Fold in the dry ingredients in 2 or 3 parts just until mixed. You don’t want to over mix but you want all of the flour to be incorporated.
6. Add the dried fruit and mix lightly. Let mixture sit for 1/2 hour before baking.
7. Fill muffin tins 2/3 full. Bake for 15-17 minutes – depending on your oven.