We are lucky enough to live next door to friends of ours who have young kids around the same age as ours. Having built-in buddies next door means lots of impromptu play dates and last minute throw-whatever-we-both-have-together meals. A few days ago, we decided last minute to have lunch together (and had other friends with kids join us as well–it was a big crew!). I had some cheese that I needed to use up, as well as a Costco supply of noodles in the pantry, so decided on mac and cheese. I called my Mom to ask her for her quick and easy mac and cheese recipe, and she guessed at the amounts of each ingredient (she never measures).
As luck would have it, it turned out great! This recipe was so quick and easy and everyone loved it (including us Moms). It was slightly chaotic, so I didn’t have a chance to take too many pictures, but did manage to pause and take one before I dug in. I put frozen peas in the bottom of each of the kids bowls and mixed the hot mac and cheese in (the peas cooled it down and added a nutrition boost), and served cut-up veggies and hummus on the side. When I had leftovers the next day, I chopped and sautéed some kale and added it in– so delicious!
- 2 packages (about 900g) macaroni noodles (corkscrew, penne, etc. work as well)
- 4 and a bit (approx) sharp cheddar cheese (I used 3 cups cheddar and 1 cup mozzarella)
- 4 cups milk (I used 1 cup 10% cream and 3 cups 2% milk). You can also substitute chicken broth for 1 cup if you'd like.
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp fresh nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground mustard
- pepper to taste
- Cook noodles as per directions on box or package
- As they are cooking, melt butter over medium heat in a large sauce pan on the stove
- Once melted, add flour and stir with a spatula until well combined. Add milk little by little, stirring well until flour/butter mixture is incorporated evenly. Add cheese and stir until "saucy". Add nutmeg and mustard, and reduce heat to low and cover (stirring occasionally).
- Once noodles are cooked "al dente", add them to the cheese mixture, and combine well. Add pepper to taste.
- Serve with veggies of choice and taste before you add ketchup! We found that it was tasty enough without it!
For more easy kid-friendly recipes, check out my Facebook page, where I share recipes, nutrition tips and articles daily. Enjoy!