That’s a mouthful isn’t it? And a delicious one! These chewy ginger cookies have been holiday family favourite for a few years now and I’ve been meaning to share the recipe for a while. The original recipe (Chewy Triple Ginger Cookies from the Atco Blue Flame Kitchen) did not call for white chocolate chunks–my Mom so brilliantly decided to test out this addition and it worked beautifully (which isn’t surprising). These cookies, although not “healthy” overall (c’mon, it’s Christmas!), contain a lot of ginger, which on its own may possess many health benefits ranging from easing stomach upset and acid reflux, to treating bronchitis and menstrual cramps. But let’s face it- you the only benefit you will likely be thinking about when you eat one of these is how amazing it tastes.
If you are a fan of ginger, you will absolutely LOVE this recipe. I would double the recipe, because they will disappear in no time over the holidays. They make for a great hostess gift too!
Chewy Triple Ginger White Chocolate Cookies
- 2 cups (500 mL) flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ginger
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking soda
- 2 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cloves
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) packed golden brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (125 mL) butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) molasses (tip: spray your measuring cup with a oil spray first- the molasses will slip out much easier)
- 1 tsp (2 mL) vanilla
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chunks or chips
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) grated fresh ginger (tip: keep your fresh ginger in the freezer- it’s easier to grate and lasts a lot longer)
- Sugar for rolling
- Combine flour, ginger, soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt in a bowl. Using medium speed of an electric mixer, beat together brown sugar and butter until fluffy. Add egg, molasses and vanilla; beat until blended.
- Add flour mixture and mix just until blended. Gently stir in crystallized ginger, white chocolate and fresh ginger. Cover and refrigerate dough for 1 hour.
- Shape dough into 1 inch (2.5 cm) balls. Roll balls in sugar and place 2 inches (5 cm) apart on parchment-lined cookie sheets. Bake at 350ºF (my oven is super hot so I had mine at 325) for 12 – 14 minutes or just until cookies are cracked on top. Cookies will be soft to the touch; do not overbake. Cool on cookie sheets for 1 minute. Transfer cookies to racks and cool completely. Store in a tightly sealed container for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
Makes 4 dozen smallish cookies.