This is my Mom’s recipe! It is simple, super delicious and great for a quiet night in or to serve to a crowd.
- 1 bag or container of baby spinach
- 1 small bunch of asparagus. Snap off ends and discard then cut asparagus into 3" strips)
- 2 cups of sliced mushrooms (I used cremini)
- 1 red pepper cut into strips
- 2 cups of cherry or grape tomatoes cut in half
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves torn apart
- 1/4 cup fresh sage, cut into strips
- 1 cup of pitted kalamata or large manzanilla olives (sliced in half)
- 1/2 lb small pasta (cooked and drained). I used Barilla Gemelli
- 340 g package of easy peel frozen prawns (thawed, peeled, rinsed and dried)
- 1 cup prosciutto (sliced thinly)
- 1 cup mini bocconcini
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1./4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed or grated
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toss the asparagus, mushrooms, red pepper, and cherry tomatoes with some olive oil, crushed garlic and salt and pepper - arrange on a baking sheet and roast in the oven at 400 F for about 20 minutes(just until there is some caramelization on the veggies). Set aside.
- Cook the pasta according to directions - drain, rinse and cool.
- Heat a large sauté pan on medium high heat with 2 Tbsp. olive oil - cook the prawns for about 2 minutes on each side - squeeze some lemon juice on at the end to deglaze the pan. Set aside.
- For the dressing - combine the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, juice and rind of lemon, garlic, sugar, salt and pepper into a jar - put the lid on and shake really well. Add more sugar and/or salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large salad bowl combine the spinach, roasted veggies, fresh herbs, olives, cheeses, pasta, prosciutto and prawns (with the juices from the pan).
- Toss with the dressing to taste.
Serve with a nice fresh baguette!
(Recipe by Diana Matthews)