Need a new kid-friendly dinner idea? If you have leftover taco fixings or if you just need a quick and easy (but healthy) dinner option, you’ll love this one!
- 2 thin pre-made (or home-made) crust pizza shells (we got ours from Costco)
- 1 package ground turkey
- 1 low sodium package of taco seasoning (or you can use half like I did)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 small can of refried beans (or 1/2 larger can)
- 1/2-3/4 cup cup fresh salsa
- 2 large fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, finely chopped
- Any other fresh veggies that you would like to add (chopped)
- 1.5-2 cups grated cheddar cheese (or Fiesta Mix grated cheese would be good too)
1. Preheat oven to 400 F
2. In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown ground turkey until fully cooked (no pink), add taco mix and add water and stir. Cook until water has evaporated. Remove from heat and let cool.
3. Lay your two pizza shells out
4. Mix together the refried beans and fresh salsa in a bowl to make the base pizza sauce and spread over pizza shells evenly
5. Add the cooked ground turkey mixture on top of the pizza base, spread evenly between both pizzas.
6. Sprinkle chopped peppers, and any other veggies (besides the tomato) evenly over top of the ground turkey mixture.
7. Sprinkle cheese evenly over veggies and then top with fresh tomato
Place the pizzas in oven, directly on oven racks (for crispy crust)
8. Cook at 400 F for 15-20 minutes, until cheese is melted and crust is golden brown along edges.
9. Allow to cool for 10 minutes or so, cut and serve along side a salad or raw veggie tray.