I’ve partnered with my friends at Skipper Otto Fishery for this sponsored post. As always, all opinions are my own!
I’m trying to serve salmon more often in our house—not only is it incredibly nutritious, but it’s a family favourite! Salmon provides so many essential nutrients, including protein, omega-3, vitamin B-12, vitamin B-6, and vitamin D to mention a few. I’ve been experimenting with recipes recently, and because we’re big into burgers right now (summer is on its way!), I decided to test out a new salmon burger recipe, using delicious canned salmon from my friends at Skipper Otto Community Supported Fishery.
Knowing where our food comes from is important to me, especially when it comes to produce, meat, fish and seafood. Thanks to Skipper Otto’s, I now know who caught our fish and seafood (and that we’re supporting independent fishing families), not to mention that it’s fair-trade and sustainable. One of my all-time favourites is their canned salmon, which contains additional calcium because of the soft bones (which are safe to eat, and have never been spotted by anyone in my family!). I often recommend canned salmon as an excellent source of calcium and vitamin D, especially for those who find it hard to consume enough otherwise (only 2.5 oz of salmon contains just under 300 mg of calcium and about 500 IU’s of vitamin D!).
I use canned salmon just like I would tuna- to make salmon melts, salmon-salad sandwiches and as a protein-rich topping for salads, but I also love using it for burgers, because it’s quick and easy, and provides a nutrient-dense twist on a summer classic. Knowing that this particular variety comes from a family-run, local and sustainable fishery makes me feel even better about serving it to my family.
Quick and Easy Wasabi Lemon Salmon Burgers
Yield: 4 burgers
- 2 cans of Skipper Otto Chum Salmon, drained
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 2 ½ tbsp wasabi mayonnaise (2 tbsp mayo + 2 tsp wasabi paste, combined)
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tsp minced garlic (~2 garlic cloves)
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- Combine all ingredients in a medium size bowl and mix well
- With clean hands, form patties and place gently on a flat surface (they’re fragile)
- Heat a large skillet (or grill) over medium-high heat, add sesame oil if using a skillet (or grease the grill well) and cook patties until golden brown on both sides (about 3-4 minutes on each side). *if cooking on a grill, be careful—the patties are fragile and could fall apart. Use a flat grilling pan to be safe
- Serve and enjoy on a whole grain Kaiser bun with lettuce and tomato, an extra squeeze of lemon and some extra wasabi mayo (just mix real mayonnaise with wasabi paste to make this)!
For more delicious and easy family-friendly recipes, visit my facebook page, where I post daily!