Energy balls are the perfect healthy, homemade snack for kids. To inspire you, here’s 20 of my favourite energy protein ball recipes that kids love.
As a mom of three young kids, I’m always on the look-out for healthy homemade snacks that my kids love. We often turn to energy bites or protein ball recipes, because they’re so easy to make and you can pack them full of nutrition.
I love finding interesting flavour combinations for energy balls (my favourites always contain chocolate), and unique uses for nutritious ingredients that I already have in my fridge and pantry (like quinoa and coconut).
Energy balls are great for a quick and nutritious snack on the go, or to add to school lunches (just make sure to use a nut-free butter).
I find that my kids love them (almost like a treat!), but they’re also filling and nutritious, which makes me feel good as a mom and registered dietitian.
When I make energy or protein bites I make sure to include protein-rich ingredients such as nut or seed butters, hemp hearts (these are my go-to), chia seeds, and protein powder (this one is my fave). And then I add a bit of sweetness with honey or maple syrup (and occasionally chocolate chips), and some sort of whole grain or flour such as oats, quinoa or coconut flour.
What makes these even easier to make is using good quality baking sheets with non-stick silicone mats. I have inserted links to the ones that I like to use! For many energy ball recipes, you need a blender or food processor. I love this one and use it daily!
To inspire you, here’s 20 nutritious energy protein balls that kids love!
By: Sarah Remmer, RD
By: Sarah Remmer, RD
3. Almond Pistachio Cocoa Bites by: Amy Gorin, RD
4. Cinnamon Crunch Breakfast Protein Balls By: Lara Lynne, RD
5. Lemon Energy Balls by: The Lean Green Bean (Lindsay Livingston, RDN)
6. Thin Mint Protein Balls, by: Lara Lynne, RD
7. No-Bake Apple Peanut Butter Energy Bites By Chrissy Carol, RD
8. Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Protein Balls by Sarah Remmer, RD
9. Almond Choco-Cherry Chia Bites By: Christy Wilson, RD
10. 6-Ingredient Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Energy Bites By: Chocolate Slopes (Krista Hegner, RD)
11. Protein Brownie Bites, by: Lara Lynne, RD
12. Gluten-Free Energy Balls With Quinoa and Coconut By: Abbey’s Kitchen (Abbey Sharp, RD)
13. 10-Minute Healthy Energy Bites By: Nourish Nutrition Co. (Rebecca Clyde, RD)
14. Peppermint Mocha Energy Bites By: Euphoria Nutrition (Charlene Pors, RD)
15. Chocolate Truffle Energy Bites By: Sarah Haas, RDN
16. Peanut Butter Banana Nut Energy Balls By Empowered Nutrition (Emily Holdorf, RDN)
17. Cranberry Orange Energy Bites By: One Hungry Bunny (Katie Pfeffer-Scanlan, RDN)
18. Chocolate Banana Nut Energy Balls By: Brittany Poulson, RDN, CDE
19. Raw Oatmeal Cinnamon Raisin Maple Pecan Cookie Dough Balls By: The Spicy RD (E.A Stewart, RDN)
20. Choco-Chia Protein Bites by: Sarah Remmer, RD
Food to Grow On is the definitive guide to childhood nutrition, packed with practical advice to support you through pregnancy, and up until your little one starts school.
Laid out in an easy-to-navigate question and answer style, this book provides practical advice and support from Sarah Remmer and Cara Rosenbloom, two trusted registered dietitians (and moms). Food to Grow On is packed with hard-earned parenting wisdom and the very latest research in pediatric nutrition, so you will feel supported, understood, and ready to help your child thrive.