I’ve promised many friends that I’d share this recipe, and finally I’ve gotten around to doing it. It’s probably the best oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe ever. Not only are these cookies soft, chewy and delicious, but they also contain a healthy dose of heart-healthy oats that are rich in soluble fibre. This recipe also contains much less butter or margarine than other cookie recipes do. I often make these cookies (along with these amazing muffins) for friends who have just had new babies and are needing fast, quick (higher fibre) snacks. If you’re a Mom, you know that the best gift ever is homemade meals or baking, am I right?
No matter what the reason for making these cookies, you will not be disappointed. They are so easy and quick that you can have a batch or two done by the time nap time is over (and you might even be able to sneak a quick nap in yourself!).
Best Ever Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
(makes 4-5 dozen)–> you can cut the recipe in half, but why?
Preheat oven to 325 (or 320 if your oven is really hot)
- 1/2 cup butter or non-hydrogenated margarine (or a combo of both) at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups brown sugar
- 4 large eggs (room temperature)
- 4 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups whole wheat/grain flour
- 2 1/4 cups large flake oats
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, beat the wet ingredients and sugar (eggs, sugar, vanilla and butter) together until smooth
- In another large bowl, sift flours, oats, baking soda, salt and cinnamon until well blended.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and stir by hand until almost combined, then add chocolate chips and stir until well blended
- Spray cookie sheets or cover with parchment paper and drop spoonfulls of cookie dough about 2 inches apart on cookie sheets
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until a light golden color on around the edges, but still soft on the inside.
- Allow to cool and transfer to a wire rack.