This post was written in partnership with my friends at Egg Farmers of Canada. As always, opinions are my own!
What mom doesn’t love an easy, quick nutritious weeknight dinner recipe that her kids actually eat? I can tell you that as a mom of three little ones, I’m all about easy and quick, and as a dietitian, I appreciate nutritious, real, whole food ingredients that take no time to throw together for a meal that my family loves. Not to mention leftovers–that’s a big bonus too!
And I’ve figured out the secret to making this happen…
And this secret isn’t earth shattering, surprising, or new, especially if you’re a frequent reader of my blog and follower of my recipes–there are many many egg recipes on this site (check out my kids top favourite egg recipes).
I love cooking with eggs at dinner because they’re so versatile and easy to work with, they’re loaded full of protein and other important nutrients such as iron and vitamin B-12 — all important for growth and development as well as general health. Also, I always have them on hand, so I’m not rushing around at the last minute, grocery shopping or defrosting meat. Because what’s worse than coming home at 5:30pm and having to defrost frozen meat or chicken before making a meal?!
This recipe is one of our go-to weeknight meals, not only because I can throw it together in less than 30 minutes, but also because everyone devours it (and bonus: there’s leftovers for the next day). I like to get my kids involved – the egg cracking is their favourite!
It also makes a great Sunday brunch for a crowd. Pair it with salsa, sour cream and guacamole and your guests won’t be able to get enough.
To add even more nutrition to this meal, I included lentil (I use canned and just rinse thoroughly–remember, we’re making this EASY!), veggies and whole grain tortilla wraps.
To see this full recipe (and cute recipe video with my kids!), as well as many more quick and easy egg recipes, check out The Healthy Inspirations Channel on the EggcentricTV app — scroll down for links to download for free!
- 12 large eggs
- 1 small yellow or red onion, chopped finely
- 2 bell pepper, chopped finely
- 1 (19 oz) can of lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup corn kernels, frozen and then thawed
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- chili powder, chipotle spice and cumin (all to taste)
- 1/2 cup mild salsa
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- 2 cups (or more grated extra sharp cheddar cheese)
- 6 - 10" soft whole grain tortillas
- Optional: add in bacon, ham or another leftover meat
- Preheat oven to 375F and grease a rectangular baking dish.
- In a large bowl, crack eggs, add salt and pepper and whisk together. Set aside.
- Heat butter in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and peppers and saute until fragrant and slightly soft (about two minutes). Add garlic, spices, lentils and corn and saute for another 30 seconds. Transfer to a glass bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Add egg mixture to the pan, and scramble eggs until cooked through. Remove pan from heat.
- Lay your tortillas out and spoon a heaping spoonful of veggie/lentil/corn mixture into the middle of each, and then top with another heaping spoonful of the egg mixture. Lastly, sprinkle with grated cheese (1 cup dispersed among all 6). Fold the tortillas up and place side by side in the greased baking dish. Top all the folded burritos with remaining cup of cheese.
- Bake at 375F for about 15 minutes until cheese and tops of the tortillas are golden brown. Serve with fresh salsa, guacamole, and sour cream.
Want free, easy, tasty and kid-friendly recipes at your fingertips?! Download the free EggCentricTV App!
Find this recipe, plus many others on The Healthy Inspirations Channel on the EggcentricTV app. If you have apple products, you can download for free at the IOS app store and if you have an android, download for free here.