THIS TASTY, HEALTHY AND EASY RECIPE MAKES FOR A GREAT SUMMER SIDE DISH
Broccoli is high in dietary fibre, folate, Vitamin C, A and K. This amazing phytochemical-rich veggie has been shown to prevent certain cancers, heart disease and stroke. It is basically a nutritional powerhouse! It’s also quite versatile. You can eat raw or cook it by lightly steaming (the best way to retain most of its nutrients), stir-frying, baking, or roasting. Fresh, unwashed broccoli keeps in the fridge for 3-5 days (don’t wash until just before cooking or eating because it spoils faster) and can be stored in the freezer for 12-18 months. The best way to freeze broccoli is to blanch it first. To do this, cook it for 2-3 minutes in boiling water and then place it quickly ice cold water. Drain off the water and then place in freezer bags or airtight containers. It’s best not to soak broccoli prior to cooking it or eating it because many of the nutrients will be leached out into the water if soaked for too long. Instead, rinse under cool water before cooking.
Finding it hard to get your kids to eat green vegetables? Try this Easy Superhero Green Pasta Recipe – it’s my kids’ favourite!
I often steam broccoli and sprinkle parmesan cheese and a bit of salt and pepper on top, but my sister-in-law who is both lactose and gluten intolerant served this dish one night and I fell in love. There are literally 3 easy ingredients (not including salt and pepper to taste) but it is the most delicious side dish ever. The lemon gives it a fresh summery taste.
- 1.5 lbs fresh broccoli, rinsed and cut into small florets
- 3-4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (or canola oil)
- 1 lemon (oil of and zest of)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 F (I have not tried this recipe on the BBQ but I’m sure you could do this in tin foil on the BBQ instead).
- Place broccoli in a large bowl and drizzle oil and the juice of your lemon on top. Toss.
- Spread broccoli evenly onto a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Place in your hot oven (or on BBQ) and let cook for 7 minutes, flip broccoli and let cook for another 5-7 minutes
- Remove from oven and sprinkle lemon zest on top and allow to cool for 2-3 minutes before serving
If you liked this recipe, you may also like this Easy Cauli-tot Recipe too!
For more family-friendly recipes and nutrition and picky eating tips for kids, follow me on Facebook, where I post daily!
Original post on YMC