Weekday mornings are busy. Scratch that–every morning is busy now that hockey season is underway. Admittedly, I’m taking advantage of every last second of sleep I can get, and now that we have two kids in school (different schools at different start times), it’s busy to say the least. Getting the kids out the door always takes longer than expected, and there always seems to be some sort of crisis, whether it’s me putting my three-year-olds socks on the wrong way, milk spilt at breakfast, or my one-year-old doing a ‘number two’ right before we’re heading out the door (it happens). Needless to say, breakfast has been rushed and not very well thought out.
Most of us know how important breakfast is–it gives us energy to start our day, and helps our kids focus and concentrate at school. If it contains a good amount of protein, it can also help to manage weight and blood sugar levels throughout the day! As important as having a nutritious, balanced breakfast is, it’s just as important (to me at this stage anyway) that it’s quick and easy to make. That’s why I LOVE this recipe. These muffins are high fibre, high protein and literally contain everything you need for a balanced meal. They are also really tasty, and definitely kid-approved! In fact, my three-year-old made them in about ten minutes with a little help from me! Check it out!
2 cups oats
1.5 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp baking powder
dash of salt
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1 1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tbsp softened coconut oil
2 tsp vanilla
3 small apples peeled, and chopped finely
- Preheat oven to 375 F and grease 2 muffin tins.
- In a large bowl, mash bananas with a fork. Add eggs, vanilla, brown sugar and milk and blend well (we used a fork).
- Melt coconut oil in the microwave and allow to cool a little bit. Add it into the mixture and stir until well blended.
- Add dry ingredients (oats, cinnamon, baking powder and salt) to the wet mixture and blend well. Add chopped apple and stir a little more.
- Fill muffin tins 2/3 cup full and bake at 375 F for 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool and enjoy!
Adapted from Sarah’s Oatmeal Apple Cinnamon Un-muffin Muffins on YMC
If you would like more easy, family-friendly recipes, check out my facebook page, where I post daily