YOU WILL NOT BELIEVE THAT THESE FLUFFY, DELICIOUS MUFFINS DON’T CONTAIN FLOUR!
When it comes to food and nutrition trends, I am the biggest skeptic. As most of my readers know, I’m not a fan of eating gluten-free for the sake of dieting or because it’s trendy. Obviously if someone has a legitimate medical reason not to eat gluten, they should avoid it, but going “gluten-free” is a food trend that has gone WAY too far. That being said, some of my favourite baked goods recipes (like muffins) are flourless and gluten-free, and taste delicious (and are super nutritious). As a bonus, my friends and family that need to avoid gluten can enjoy them too!
These Flourless Peanut Butter and Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins don’t contain a special gluten-free flour, nor do they taste chalky or have the texture of a hockey puck. They were soft, moist and fluffy—the way muffins should be—but simply do not need flour.
They are made from real, whole food ingredients, and I feel good about eating them and feeding them to my kids. They are also super easy to make!
- 2 cups natural smooth peanut butter (you could easily substitute any nut or seed butter in)
- 5-6 medium-sized ripe bananas, mashed
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
- Place all of the ingredients into a bowl and with an electric hand mixer, mix together until combined.
- Fill greased muffin tins 2/3's full with the batter (it is more liquidy than regular muffins—don't worry, they will work out).
- Bake at 400 F for 10-12 minutes (test by pressing down on one and make sure that it springs back--it shouldn't be doughy). Allow to cool on wire baking racks and enjoy!
If you like these, you may also like these Flourless Chocolate Lentil Protein Muffins, these Flourless Oatmeal Apple Muffins and these Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Protein Balls
Feel free to check out my facebook page, where I share recipes and family nutrition tips/resources daily.