I must admit- I’m not completely devastated that summer is coming to a close (even though I LOVE summer), because Fall is my absolute favourite time of year. The warm days but cool mornings and evenings, the beautiful leaves, the Fall wardrobe, and of course, warm comfort foods and drinks like butternut squash soup and pumpkin spice lattes. I’d be in heaven if it was Fall all year round. As we head into September this weekend, try to focus on the fact that it will still be warm out for a while and there are many yummy fall foods to enjoy.
- 1 cup bran cereal (I use bran flakes or all-bran)
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup raisins, walnuts or pecans (your choice)
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 can (14 oz) pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I use canola)
- In large bowl, combine whole wheat flour, bran, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt and raisins or nuts.
- In another large bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk, pumpkin and oil.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry mixture and pour in wet mixture all at once. Gently fold together until just combined- do not over-mix.
- Spoon batter into muffin tins and bake in pre-heated oven for 18 minutes
Recipe adapted from the Dietitians of Canada "Great Food Fast" Cookbook.
For more delicious kid-friendly (and easy!) recipes, check out my Facebook page where I post recipes, kids nutrition tips and articles daily.