FILL YOUR HOUSE WITH THE WARM AND COZY AROMA OF CHRISTMAS (AND GET A HEALTHY SNACK OUT OF IT TOO!)
There’s nothing quite like entering your kitchen and being engulfed in the delicious, warm aroma of gingerbread. To me, that feels like Christmas. What’s even better, is knowing that the source of that aroma is a nutritious and wholesome muffin — the kind that you can eat as part of a balanced meal, or on its own as a snack. The kind that you feel really great about sending in your kid’s lunch, or serving to your family for breakfast. These gingerbread muffins are to die for, and will put you in the holiday spirit!
These muffins are fluffy and soft just like coffee shop gingerbread muffins, but much healthier. Pair one with some fruit and Greek yogurt in the morning, and you’ve got a balanced meal! Or, after you ship the kids off to school, top your muffin with butter and serve with coffee and baileys–it’s the holidays after all!
I’ll cut to the chase and give you the recipe now…because I know that you’ve just cleared your schedule to bake these immediately.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened (can substitute melted coconut oil)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup real maple syrup
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 generous tbsp fresh grated ginger or ginger paste (you can also sub 1 tsp ground ginger)
- 1 1/2 cups whole grain or whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp all-spice
- brown or turbinado sugar for topping
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray, coconut oil or butter.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients(butter, eggs, maple syrup, yogurt, milk, brown sugar and ginger).
- Add the flours, baking soda, salt, and spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice). Stir until just combined (might be a little lumpy--that's ok. Best not to over-stir muffins). Scoop into a muffin tin and sprinkle the tops with a bit of sugar. Bake for 15-17 minutes, until the tops are puffy and firm to the touch. Cool, serve and enjoy!
Adapted from Pinch ofYum's "Healthy Gingerbread Muffins"(these ones are really tasty too!)
If you like this recipe, you might also want to try this delicious Triple Ginger White Chocolate Cookies!
Follow me on my Facebook page, where I share my latest blog posts, delicious and nutritious recipes, and nutrition tips for kids and Moms!