Lylah, my feisty three-year-old, is my little side-kick in the kitchen. She loves helping with meal prep (aka “I do myself!) and I love that she’s interested. Although it takes a bit longer and is a bit messier, there are so many benefits. She’s building her confidence with every stir, pour, and chop, and she’s learning how to prepare various nutritious foods, which is one very important life skill. She’s also great at taste-testing new foods and flavours–something that will help to widen her palate as she grows.
Today Lylah and I made Easy and Healthy Cauliflower-tots (think “tater-tots” but a lot more nutritious), and all of my kids inhaled them. My two oldest got to choose their dip (you guessed it–ketchup!), and my youngest and I enjoyed them on their own. They are delicious! And slightly addicting.
- 2 1/2 cups cauliflower, blanched and chopped (to blanch, place cauliflower in a pot with boiling water for about 30-60 seconds, drain and rinse quickly with cold water to stop the cooking process)
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 2/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups grated, sharp cheddar cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 400 F and grease a mini muffin-tin (can also form into "tots" yourself and
place on a greased baking sheet)
- Add all ingredients to a medium-sized bowl and mix well.
- Scoop about 1 tbsp of mixture into each mini muffin cup and press down firmly
- Bake at 400 F for 18-20 minutes, until golden brown on top. Enjoy with your favourite dip or on their own, with a meal or as a snack!
For more easy recipes and videos, check out my Facebook page, where I post daily