I just recently started hearing the buzz about “Kale Chips”! To be honest, the first thing I thought when I heard the term Kale Chips was “how the heck can Kale- a leafy green vegetable- be made into a crispy, tasty chip?!”. I was quite skeptical about how this “chip” would taste. I’m all about healthy greens, but really?! I pictured a wilted, soggy, dull green-colored finger food… I was so wrong! I was invited over to my friend Sara’s house for dinner last week and was treated to a lovely dinner. Her husband made us a delicious white bean chicken chili with sour cream, salsa and a delightful kale chip garnish! Not only were the kale chips perfectly crispy, bright green and an attractive garnish to add to chili, but they also tasted fantastic! In fact, I loved them so much that I decided to try them out at home 3 days later! They were a hit and I’m sure will become a staple in our household. We paired them with homemade hamburgers- so good!
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Tear the leaves off the thick stems into bite size pieces.
- Wash, give it a spin in the salad spinner, dry.
- Put into a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Spread out on cookie sheets.
- Bake until edges are brown and kale is crispy when moved in pan.
- Use as an appetizer, a side dish or a garnish.
I've also heard of people grating fresh Parmesan cheese on them before basking as well. Yum!