YOU’LL WANT TO ADD THIS MEAL TO YOUR DINNER ROTATION, STAT.
A great way to raise adventurous, healthy eaters is to involve your kids in shopping, preparing, cooking, or serving meals. No bribing, coaxing or bartering needed – simply getting kids involved makes all the difference! When kids feel as though they have had a hand in making a meal, they are more likely to eat it. They also learn valuable lifelong skills such as how to be nutritious and mindful grocery shoppers, how to follow a recipe and measure out ingredients, and how to use kitchen utensils and appliances in a safe way.
One of the easiest ways to get your kids involved, is to serve meals “family-style,” which means that you prepare the meal (with the help of your kids if you’d like), and then lay all the fixings and toppings out on the table for your kids to choose from when dinner is served! I find that one-pan meals (or slow-cooker meals) make the best family-style meals because they are often served with various toppings. Some other great family-style meal ideas are oatmeal, yogurt parfaits, pizza and tacos!
This One Pan Burrito Bowls recipe has become one of our favourites (and it literally takes me 20-25 minutes to throw together from start to finish). It’s also cost-effective and nutritious! From one mom to another, I suggest that you add this meal to your dinner rotation now!
- 1 1/2 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup mild salsa
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained)
- 1 (8 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 diced onion
- 1 cup quinoa (rinsed) or long grain rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 cup (or more) shredded cheddar cheese, jack cheese, mozza cheese or a combo
- sliced avocado
- extra salsa
- sour cream
- green onion
- In a large deep pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Saute the onions and red pepper. Add in ground beef and cook until browned. Add black beans, corn, canned tomatoes, salsa, quinoa or rice, taco seasoning and chili powder. Add chicken broth and bring to a light boil. Cover the pan and reduce heat to low. Cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the quinoa or rice is tender.
- Serve "family style" and let your kids choose their toppings and amounts!
*adapted from I Heart Naptime's One Pot Burrito Bowls
For more nutritious and easy recipes, plus lots of nutrition tips for parents, check out my Facebook page, where I post daily!